Take out made at home - an oldie but a goodie, full of light fresh flavour for the spring weather. Use whatever vegetables you can find - asparagus and snow peas are both in season and will work brilliantly.
Marinade for Tofu
- 1 1/2 tablespoons wheat free tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mirin
- 3/4 tablespoon pear juice concentrate
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon approx finely chopped coriander
- 1 medium clove garlic - finely minced
- 100 - 150 gm firm tofu, cut into small cubes
- 200 gm dried rice noodles (approx 1 cm width)
- juice of 1 lime - 2 - 3 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tamari
- 1 1/2 tablespoons palm sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sweet chilli sauce
- coconut oil for frying
- 3 garlic cloves - finely diced / crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger
- 2 carrots julienned
- 1 head broccoli - cut into small florets
- 1 red capsicum - cut julienne
- 6 - 8 spring onions - cut on the diagonal, plus 3 more (for decoration).
- 100 gm bean sprouts
- 100 gm sunflower (or similar) sprouts
- 1 cup roasted cashews - roughly chopped
- 8 - 10 sprigs coriander - leaves only
- 1 fresh red or green chilli - finely sliced on the diagonal
Mix the first 7 ingredients together, making a marinade. Add the tofu and marinate in fridge for 1-8 hours.
Place the noodles gently in a bowl and soak according to the packet instructions. They are very fragile, so avoid pressing them down. Also, a good tip is the hotter the water, the quicker they take to soak.
Combine the lime juice, tamari, palm sugar, chilli sauce and 60 ml water together. Mix gently and set aside.
Prepare all the remaining ingredients before you start to cook.
Using a wok, heat approx ½ cup coconut oil. It is important the oil is hot, but not smoking. Remove the tofu from the marinade, pat dry and put into the wok. Fry the tofu for 6-10 mins, until it is golden. You will need to turn the tofu often, ensuring that it is cooked on all sides and the oil should be gently sizzling. When golden, remove the tofu and place in a bowl lined with paper towel. Discard the oil.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of fresh oil to the wok and heat over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 10 seconds. Add the carrot, broccoli and capsicum and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Drain the noodles. Add the sauce and noodles together with the tofu, spring onions, bean sprouts and sunflower sprouts. Mix well and cook for 2 minutes. Turn onto a serving plate and garnish with chopped cashew nuts, coriander, chilli and spring onions.